Thursday, June 4, 2009

Deeeeeee-licious!

Couple things I wanted to mention today. First was my "small" victory yesterday - and I would say a victory for J as well. Last night for dinner we tried a new meatloaf recipe, as many of you know, meatloaf is one of J's most fav dinners. This was a turkey taco meatloaf from a Hungry Girl cookbook. 1/6th of the loaf is only 127 calories and it was dee-freakin-licious! I am going to post the recipe below in case you would like to enjoy it as well. We also had boiled red potatoes and sweet corn on the cob. I expected the corn to be ehhh, okay since the corn that my mom had on Sunday was not very soft or sweet and corn just isn't in season right now, but this corn was guuh-hood. So what is the victory you ask? J and I only ate only the pre-measured portions that were on our plates. That consisted of 1/4 of the loaf for me and 1/3 for J, 1 small red potato for me and 1 medium one for J, and one ear of corn each - even though there was more of everything left in the kitchen! Now, I don't think that neither J nor I have ever eaten just 1 ear of corn, especially when it is this good. And J, well when it comes to meatloaf, he can devour 3/4 of it with no problem. Even though neither of us were actually full, we both stopped because we weren't actually hungry - of course we saved room for some fat free frozen yogurt though!



Yesterday's food log:

fruit and yogurt parfait
spaghetti with dirusso's turkey sausage
zucchini/red peppers/onions
English muffin with low sugar jelly
meatloaf, potatoes, corn on the cop
fat free frozen yogurt
100 oz water


calories consumed: 1250
calories burned: 2360 (560 from 60 minutes at aerobics)
calorie deficit: 1110 (0.32 pounds)



Now for a little story: Isn't it weird how we feel scared in certain situations? I am (was) in need of a new pair of workout shoes. My shox hurt my feel very badly when I jog and do my 30 minute shred dvd. J and I went to Shoe Carnival on Sunday but they just didn't have a good selection, and to be honest, I don't know exactly what I need. I know there are certain shoes that support different things during running that help you depending on how your feet are shaped and how your feet strike the ground. So I decided that I needed to go somewhere that specializes in athletic shoes and talk to someone who knows what they are doing. I found that Second Sole in Boardman does just that. So that was where I wanted to go. But I was scared. I was scared to go in there because after looking on their website I saw that all of their employees were thin, athletic types and I was afraid that when I walked in there they were just going to look at me and laugh and say, "What is she doing here? She probably meant to go into the bakery next door." I surely could not want to purchase shoes that are meant for physical activity. I finally got the nerve to go in yesterday, well I guess I was more forced to do it than anything else. Since it was raining, I really needed to wear different shoes than what I would be working out in because if I didn't I probably would have slipped and ended up on the ground. So I pull into the parking lot and out walks these two high school guys that probably ran track. I waited until they left the parking lot before I got out of my car - how freaking pathetic is that? But I did because I was embarrassed. After they were gone, I went in. There was a kid, probably about 17 that asked me if he could help me - that was good because I didn't want to walk over to the wall of shoes and stare at them, looking like a buffoon. I told him that I needed shoes but I had no idea what kind or anything about them really. He showed me over to the wall, had me take off my shoes and walk the catwalk - ok, not a catwalk, but across the store and back. He and some other guy (owner?) decided that I needed a higher support because me feet are rather flat and my ankles tend to roll inward. Okay, great, I got past that awkward moment and on to the next. As he was showing me a few styles on the wall, I noticed that they were $110 to $130! I decided to tell him what kinds of workouts I am doing and then let him know how much I wanted to spend. So, awkward moment #2 - not only am I fat, but I am poor too. He was as nice as could be though and he and the other guy went into the back to see if they could find older styles that were left over and could be discounted for me. He brought out 3 different pairs, I tried them on and decided on the Asics. At the register he took my name and then asked for my address, when I told him what it was he laughed and said that he used to live there, about 7 years ago! What a small freaking world! Anyway, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, even though the entire time I felt completely out of place. I just can't wait to get to the point in my life that I am not embarrassed by my body any more. It really is pathetic that I am embarrassed to go into a store because of my weight.


**edit**

Taco Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup canned corn
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (we skipped)
1/4 cup chopped onion (we skipped)
1/2 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
1/2 cup salsa (we puree ours so it's not chunky)
1/2 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Cook onions and peppers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes in a pan coated with non-stick spray. Mix turkey, corn, onions, peppers and taco seasoning. Spread mixture in a 9x5 loaf pan. Top with salsa. Bake for 45 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment