Thursday, July 16, 2009

Salad

So last week J and I were watching food network, which is something we almost never do, but since there was nothing on, we stopped there. Alton Brown from "Good Eats" was making this grilled romaine thing that looked sooooo good. I decided to make it this week and oh my God it is wonderful. I had one Tuesday night and last night with my dinner. It is fairly easy to make and the flavors go together so well! I am definitely having another tonight. Here it is:



Makes 2 salads

Ingredients:
1 Romaine Heart
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil

The ingredients above are not exact (except the lettuce) but it will give you an idea of about how much you will need. You won't use all of it. For the Parmesan cheese, I bought the stuff from Rulli's in the small containers - it tastes so much better than Kraft because it is fresh.

First, place the vinegar in a freezer bag and place in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until frozen. After it is frozen, smash it a little with either a rolling pin, meat tenderizer or something like that to make it into little pieces - almost like a vinegar slushie :) Next, cut the lettuce in half. Be sure to cut the root in half to keep all or most of the pieces together. Place the cheese in a pan or dish that is big enough for the lettuce. Spray or brush the cut side of the lettuce very well with the oil, be sure to get it in the grooves. Press the cut side of the lettuce into the cheese. You will need to make sure you press it really good to get the cheese to stick really well. Top with some black pepper if you like. Heat a non-stick skillet (I used my Pampered chef grill pan and press to get the grill lines) sprayed very generously with Pam over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the lettuce in the skillet, cut side down. Leave on for about 1-2 minutes, until the cheese browns. You will really smell the cheese when it is about done. Carefully remove from skillet and place on a plate. Top with the vinegar shavings and eat immediately.

Side note - I do not recommend putting it on a plate that has any food that you don't want to share in the vinegar taste. As you see in the photo above, I put my sausage on the same plate and by the time I got to eating it, there was a small amount of vinegar soaked into the bun.

1 comment:

  1. That whole dinner looks good to me. When are you making it for mre??? I guess when you cook, that is the only time I eat very healthy. I love you and CONGRATULATIONS for hitting the 170's. I knew it wouldn't take too long. Keep up the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete